In the last few weeks I have experienced a 400% increase in spam into our business email boxes. I used to get ~100 a day, suddenly it increased to ~100 every few hours. These were coming from russia, mexico, china, everywhere. This quadrupled my work load in looking into the email provider's webmail to see what was waiting and had been filtered out by them - and every time I checked Mail, another 20 had made it through their filters anyway. Four times a day, minimum.

Say my business domain was onetwo.com. (It isn't) Emails were arriving addressed to bestonetwo.com, bestonetwopod.com, onetwomag.com, podmagonetwo.com, onetwonerd.com etcetera.

I found a company we used to deal with 6 years ago had a very old page on their website with a years-out-of-date email address to us. I asked them to take the page down, they did. I thought that would stop it. It didn't.

Today, however, wearily clicking through our webmail's trapped spam yet again (I have to do this because sometimes there's a sales enquiry in there), I looked up and saw a tiny suggestion from them on that page. It was not exactly bleedin' obvious.

It said "We suggest that in addition to BoxTrapper you enable SpamAssasin to decrease the load on our servers."

Blinks slowly.

Oh, OhhhhhKayyyyyyy........and enabled SpamAssasin and went off and did something else. A few hours later, when 50 more spams would have arrived by now,

NOTHING! NO SPAMS! TA DAA!!!!

Well, I hope so. Fingers crossed. If I lose some stray sales enquiries because of this, it will have been worth it. I figure they'll get on the old-fashioned telephonic device instead.

Hope that helps someone else.