> What you are seeing is video resolution being switched before VRAM is cleared.
  1. Thanks... But why does it only happen when I boot from Snow Leopard into Leopard and not under any other circumstances?
  2. That's both good and bad news... Good, because it's not a real issue, and bad, because it's not an issue I can take to a "Genius." (I've now documented the garbled screenshot issue on three different occasions; I wonder if that'll be enough?)
It just occurred to me that I've booted from SL into L many times in the past without seeing any screen "artifacts;" I wonder why this has begun happening now, now being immediately after I gave my deuced Mac(hina) that hard workout beta testing the rsync front end?

> That must have been very challenging to capture.

It was, because it only appears for a split-second, but after much frustration I figured out that counting turns of the gear wheel might be useful, and the number turned out to be consistent, so I was able to time the shutter just right.

> I'd have used a video camera and snagged the single frame.

And therein lies the rub; the camera I borrowed can shoot videos, but it not only never occurred to me to go that route, I didn't even remember the fact until about ten minutes after I read your post.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire