Originally Posted By: ...JER
Plugged it into an imac (I think), a couple of seconds the home screen came up and that was it. No input on my part, nothing, Looked to me to be a totally useless step.

A number of thing were possible at that time... iTunes probably launched (and if connected to the Internet, the iPad would have been "registered" to your account). I believe hooking up to a Mac also provides an opportunity to copy our already-purchased iPhone/iPod apps over to the iPad (i.e., every app for those devices in our library can be transferred to and then run on our new iPad). It's also an opportunity to transfer some music over... as well as bookmarks, Address Book contacts, iCal events and Mail accounts (thereby making setting up the iPad for that user a piece of cake).

I think if the salesman had been aware that you were buying this iPad for someone else who doesn't have any computer, perhaps he may have suggested they activate it (on behalf of your friend) in the store at purchase time.

Even with the iPhone i believe, there must be some step which ties the device to a specific person (and most likely some credit-card account as well). Better check up on that... before your friend starts downloading $tuff like mad.

wink