Originally Posted By: ...JER
I specifically told the salesman that I was running 10.4.11, and that I had upgraded to iTunes 9.0.3 about 6 weeks ago when I got my iPhone 3Gs. He said it should work fine.

That's a fascinating story... considering this is what it says right on the box:

Mac system requirements
  1. Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
  2. Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
  3. iTunes 9.1 or later
  4. iTunes Store account
  5. Internet access

The first thing I found when I got it home (I live about 1 hour away from the Apple store) is that it won't even turn on without being connected to iTunes. Right out of the box you have to connect it to iTunes.

<snip>

or let the Apple store get it up and running for my for my friend to use.

Yes, if the required system, etc., is not available... then the Apple Store will set it up for you.

I can't believe you can't even turn the thing on without hooking it up to a computer...it's supposed to be a stand alone device.
Originally Posted By: macnerd10
In BestBuy I was in, all iPads were standalone. Something is definitely wrong...

Once it's been set up, it works as a standalone. But surely you (as an iPhone owner) realize that the iPad is no stereotypical computing device. Any programs you add to it (and the programs are what define its capabilities) will need to [i.e., must] be purchased (or obtained free of charge) from the iTunes Store... which means that getting an account there is almost a necessity as well (unless Safari and Mail are enough to amuse one).

Only Apple could get away with selling a device that requires you to upgrade your hardware, and your software in order to use it.

How old is Tiger... 6+ years? Leopard came out in 2007. Anyway, if your hardware can't run Leopard, then we're talking old (on the scale that computer ages get measured by).

As is typical for iPods and iPhones, an iTunes update is required. [e.g., iTunes 7 didn't know the iPod touch was going to arrive in 2008... so iTunes 8 was required. Similarly, iTunes 9.0.x wasn't fully up to speed for the iPad's arrival either.] I'd be amazed if other newly released mobile devices made by other manufacturers somehow worked their magic without an accompanying software update to the 'base' machine.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/23/10 06:47 AM.