Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
For those who had trouble accessing the MFIF pages, see Fix for macfixitforums archive slow loading - FineTunedMac. In the meantime, in those threads I linked to
[list]
[*]Adobe Flash Player : What Are Third-Party Local Shared Objects? (Adobe's description), and to [*]Local Shared Object (Wikipedia's presumably more objective explanation).

Thanks for this.

I looked at both and, at the end of the Adobe link there's another link called TechNote: How to disable third party local shared objects . When I looked at it I got a better understanding of what I did when I unchecked "Allow third party Flash content to store information and other data on your computer".

Quick Update Edit: I've now also read your EPIC Flash Cookie link, which was equally interesting.

However, I still don't where I stand on two other questions.

1. Although I checked Always Ask, one website "iViewTube.com" constantly placed data on my computer without asking.

2. My status relative to dondenny's original concern, which was the ability of an outsider to take control of your camera and/or microphone without your knowledge. Am I vulnerable or not?

Now, in my case, if they take control of my camera before I've had my morning coffee, they're not likely to want to do that a second time. But still.............

ryck

The Plot Thickens
Edit: 13:00 Saturday

A friend sent a Google video link called Flying Colors - 2002. When I went to the video a small box was in the centre with this information:

Adobe Flash Player Settings
Local Storage
video.google.com is requesting permission to store information on your computer.

Requested: up to 10 KB
Currently Used: 0 KB

I first denied permission to see what would happen. The video played but the small box with the request remained.

I then provided permission. The box disappeared and the video replayed from the start.

I then went to the Adobe Global Privacy panel and it had:

video.google.com Used 1 KB Limit 10KB It had the Always Ask icon next to it.

However..........

The settings panel also had "iviewTube.com" Used. 0 KB Limit 0 KB. It also had the Always Ask icon in spite of the fact that it had not asked.

I've deleted both.

Last edited by ryck; 04/10/10 08:20 PM. Reason: Update Information

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C