Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
There are some odd things about this device, take Safari for example:
  1. no tab key, so i can't type a tab in Safari (-Pages provides a special tool we select via menu to produce a tab character)
  2. no option key, so i can't type a ç with a cedilla or pi π, (a special € key is provided tho)
  3. no arrow keys for cursor navigation (insertion point movement)
  4. no way to type `back tics` (handy for posting Unix commands)
  5. no way to search for a string on a web page, such as finding "Reuters" here (really strange)
  6. no way to save a webpage file (be it in html, archive format, pdf or even a link), except only as a bookmark entry

Should have included this too, since perhaps it's not self-evident: Safari cannot download a file. At least not the gzipped item I just tried. And even if it can, it will probably go to some "sharing" area where it would then need conveying to an actual computer. I.e., the iPad has no Finder wherein we can dork around with physical files... at least not in the manner to which we have long been accustomed.

Quote:
vii. basic text manipulation such as editing this post still feels awkward (and slow)

That's still the one issue that really sticks out to me. Basic typing is no problem... but being able to swiftly rearrange blocks of text or quickly add various style tags is somewhat tedious. The selection tool seems to favor letters, and all those [ brackets ] in the UBB tags make speedy edits slow and clumsy.

[haven't found the back tic or pi yet either. Also, something tells me that a hard (non-breaking) space --usually entered via option-spacebar -- is also impossible.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/08/10 09:45 PM.