I will get back to you with news from the MBP but I have now tested Mail in 10.5.8 (DP G5 tower). The behavior is exactly as in MBP running 10.6.3.
1. Use the same message format as the original message is selected (composing is Rich Text).
2. In the received message I can see different colors.
I also forwarded one message to myself (the links you provide only deal with forwarded messages) and it behaved exactly as the reply - no boxes, colors were visible, as well as bold text; the links to e-mails behaved as real links.
I noticed that the posters in your links said that "some messages" had boxes. Must be something about these messages.
I got the box in question only once and it did not go around the reply text. It was a message from Mail alerting me that the address of the recipient was not recognized as a valid one. I clicked the X, it went away, the reply text remained in the message and was editable.

P.S. same behavior on 10.6.3. No boxes on reply or forward, with the same settings.

Last edited by macnerd10; 04/08/10 06:41 AM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN