Eudora is simply another application for accessing email. Many people like Eudora and more swear by it than swear at it. Its history has been checkered going from freeware to shareware to commercial and now back to freeware under the Mozilla Project umbrella where it is becoming a variant of Mozilla's Thunderbird email client.

The configuration issue you are having with Mail my have absolutely nothing to do with the Mail application and everything to do with your ISP. However there is no reason you should not be able to have multiple email accounts and/or SMTP servers in the version of Mail that comes with TIger. I no longer have anything around that will run Tiger, so I do not have anything available so I can give specific setup instructions. However, I did find these excellent instructions for configuring Tiger Mail from the University of Maryland. You will have to substitute the appropriate settings for your new satellite ISP but these should work. Be sure to list your account name as userid@starband.net and not just userid.

Problems with email passwords often fall into one of four common errors:

1. upper and/or lower case errors
  2. confusion between numeral one and lower case letter l or upper case O and numeral zero
  3. inclusion of extraneous spaces
  4. flat having the wrong password

Unfortunately, there are a number of other errors that get reported as password errors such as an incorrect account name, etc.

FWIW, I just spent some time browsing the Starband site and nowhere did I find Macintosh support mentioned, so you are on your own. frown

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein