Quote:
Another symptom is when you click once on a desktop file, it does not get highlighted.

Or what amounts to the same thing: an already-selected file on the Desktop cannot be deselected by clicking on a different Desktop file or on the Desktop itself.

In any case, thanks for the corroboration. I note that both your and ganbustein's experiences involve PPC Macs, as does mine (G4 mini), although the G4 in ganbustein's case is running Tiger. I don't recall experiencing the issue in Tiger, but I suppose it's possible that it's related to a Security Update, issued after I'd moved to Leopard, which covered 10.4.11 as well. (All eight Security Updates issued in 2008, as well as the first five in 2009, were issued simultaneously for 10.4.11 and 10.5.x.)

For that matter, updates to Safari from Beta 3.0.x onward have covered 10.4.11 and up, so I guess Safari can't be ruled out. I'm always running both Camino and Safari, so there's a possibility that Safari is the culprit even in cases which don't seem to involve it directly...

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors