Originally Posted By: ryck
So, I think I should get rid of it. Here's what I think I need to do.

1. Enter that User account and make Invisibles, visible.

2. Go to the Prefs folder and drag the suspect plist to the Trash.

3. While in this mode (Invisibles are visible), empty the Trash.

4. Make the Invisibles invisible again.

Well, if you're going to use the Terminal command posted above to make stuff visible... may as well just save a ton of time and use Terminal to remove the file in a blink of the eye.

May i request we study it for a moment longer? This command will display extended attributes (if any), which could be interesting:

xattr -l /Users/Beverley/Library/Preferences/.a23t.mk4e.plist

Also... if this command doesn't produce too much output, please post:

strings /Users/Beverley/Library/Preferences/.a23t.mk4e.plist

Originally Posted By: ryck
However, I wonder if I will cause a problem as another Invisible normally in the Trash will now also be gone. I was thinking about the DS_Store. Will the System software just generate a new one, the way it does with some prefs?

A total non-issue.

First off, items in the trash get erased whether visible or not. Second, we don't care about .DS_Stores in the trash [partly because (as just mentioned) they get erased when the trash is emptied anyway, but also] since they don't contribute anything to our "view" of the trash. All that info is kept in com.apple.finder.plist

It may be of interest to note that: the window we get when we click on the trash icon in the dock is not a real folder. That "container's" view is fabricated. It is manufactured to abstract the union of all trash folders for which the current user has read access. That's how items from other mounted volumes appear in "our" trash.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/23/10 09:04 PM.