Working backwards...
Originally Posted By: ryck
At any rate, I checked the plist with Get Info and found that both the Creation and Modified dates were the same and they corresponded with a day this user got one of those internet greeting cards.

This user would not install anything so I'm assuming it's from the card.

Still would be nice to view the contents (to be sure). Did you look at it with TextEdit? (or better yet, a hex-editor such as 0xED).

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
stat (type path here)
and
cat (type path here) | xxd -c 32 | head -n 20

I couldn't get either of these to work, so I assume I may not know the right way to enter the path. In either case, if I entered what I thought was the path using the brackets, I got:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token

If I did the same without brackets I got:

No such file or directory

While the output is nice to hear about, copying the full session from the terminal screen (especially including the commands *you* had entered) is the way to go, if we are to properly discuss what really happened. [brackets?? where??]

find / -name ".a23t.mk4e.plist"

When I tried this one I got hundreds of entires ending in 'Permission Denied' including not only the main drive but also the Time Machine drive. In the end, I quit Terminal in order to stop the list from growing.

Yup. I almost always include the -x option with find (to prevent it from diving deep down inside the /Volumes folder. It will also search networked shares in such cases). Obviously the permissions stuff was due to not prefixing with sudo. [ryck, those last 2 sentences were for primarily for Virtual1's consumption. wink ]

find ~ -name ".a23t.mk4e.plist"

When I tried this one I got a few things like:

find: /Users/Username/.fseventsd: Permission denied
find: /Users/Username/File Transfer Folder\003\r: Permission denied
find: /Users/Username/Temporary Items/0: Permission denied

Odd/curious. You (or some user) seem to have strange junk in the home folder which is not accessible by the (home) owner. If interested, we could pursue that here (mods/admins willing) or in another thread.

--

A little marker for tacit: Generated in 47.425 seconds in which 21.796 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/19/10 09:31 PM. Reason: added initial post submission duration stats