Well, I replaced my slot-loading (Summer 2000) iMac's original drive with a Western Digital in, oh, 2004, and it's served as my primary external drive since 2005, and, other than a reluctance to stay spun down during sleep (a phenomenon for which WD drives were noted at the time, although I can't find any general report to that effect), it's performed, um, flawlessly.

My WD My Book Studio Edition, OTOH, tends to go AWOL from time to time if it's connected without any volumes mounted. Nothing an unplug-replug doesn't take care of, but annoying nonetheless, especially given that the PPC non-bootability of said drive was a well-kept secret as far as Western Digital promotional material was concerned.

But, hey! The My Book is an external, and its problems appears to be unrelated to the drive itself. As I recall, one of the reasons I chose a WD as a replacement for the iMac's internal was that crarko—a professional with extensive experience in the field cool —was partial to them at that time.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors