> The .dist file is not a package; [....]

"Package" was a "slip of the fingertips, not of the mind;" I knew (instinctively, from the "Failure" pop-ups) that the .dist file (It was 12k.) was not a package, but, in typing, I reacted to the icon rather than to the knowledge.

[aside] Apple is now using the same icon for .pkg, .mpkg, and .dist (I think they're all) files; isn't that pushing the limits of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines? [/aside]

> The real problem with this type of scenario is that since the .dist script is now no longer overriding the individual installation scripts contained within the individual packages, in those cases in which the installation sequence matters it's possible for the user manually installing the packages to get the sequence wrong.

After pondering the correct installation sequence I defaulted to running the bigger package first so I could piggyback the smaller one while it was still running; I GUESS I got it right (Edit: if, in fact, there was a "right" and "wrong").

All in all, though, I think we're pretty much in agreement about what's going on with the d/l's in question. (Excellent research job, by the way.)

PS: > Just for grins, [....]

QuickLook never occurred to me, and now that I'd like to take a look it's too late...my un-updated backup has been paved over with an updated one.

Last edited by artie505; 03/04/10 07:38 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire