A recent iPad thread got diverted briefly into an exchange about cyber-security (in the context of maintaining software updates). This inspired YA <excellent post> by tacit.

i think it would be good if we could have one thread to turn to as a resource for such info. Hopefully, this will be it.

In his own online blogs, tacit furnishes a wealth of articles (only three of which i list here):
  1. Polyamory and crime on the Internet -- Dec. 12, 2007

2. Anatomy of computer crime -- Mar. 26, 2008

3. More computer crime anatomy -- May 5, 2008

Back in the MFI forums, we were sometimes treated with supplemental threads, such as:
  1. Analysis of virus distribution -- Dec. 13, 2007

2. Mac virus distributed by Russian Business Network -- Mar. 26, 2008

3. Well, the Russians are back -- Dec. 27, 2008

As we have learned from the links above, the dangers out there are not limited to pr0n sites or pirate-laden p2p networks... but rather everyday places like google.com, and various "worldpress" forums (who don't update their software and/or take sufficient precautions). The trends tacit taught us about continue today...
  1. Preview to a Possible Future of Rogue AV -- Dec. 2, 2009

2. Be Careful Clicking on the Google Doodle -- Dec. 15, 2009

3. Yet Another Reputable Site Asks You to Install Rogue AV -- Dec 18, 2009

4. Scammers Cashing in on Facebook ‘Un named App’ Hoax -- Jan. 30, 2010

And here's a small item i ran into today: The world is hacked, and it's users' fault -- Feb. 19, 2010

--

Anyway, i hope members will choose to use this thread as a convenient one-stop place where useful security info can be either deposited or easily located.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/20/10 06:00 AM.