Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: artie505
And I'm questioning the importance of not only the Security Update aspect of your post, but of your premise in general.

My
premise? I think that the merits of keeping our software up-to-date (especially where many security-specific fixes are part of the package) is a fairly universal premise. You are of course free to disagree... but, it's not only "me" with whom you'll find this particular disagreement. (Indeed your viewpoint is most certainly the minority).

So, i'll continue to encourage users to stay up to date, and leave you to set the counter example (extolling the virtues of running less secure systems). My objective was merely to serve notice, and that much seems to have been achieved.

Your points are generally well taken despite my choosing to ignore them. (My bottom line remains actual, as opposed to perceived, risk.)

As for "(Indeed your viewpoint is most certainly the minority)", though, I couldn't find any stats on what percentage of Mac users is running which OS, so I wonder how telling the number of posts in FTM's Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x Forum is? (Certainly not all of the posters to that forum are running OS X 10.5.8.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire