I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that -- if/when a video option is finally included -- they'll sell more iPads without it than with. I mean, it might be a nice addition and all... but for living room, classroom, and/or office use... not vital by any means. [So why add more cost?]

Besides... if it had every single bell and whistle on day zero, where would they go from there? <--EDIT: to expand on that, it seems many folks are wanting (or expecting) the iPad to instantly be a "100%" device for "100%" of the people. I don't believe its current incarnation is even trying to be that. Can i get a command line terminal and look at all the hidden files like i do on a real Mac? I doubt it... it's not a computer. Nor a phone (yet), nor a camera (yet), nor (merely) an e-Reader. What will really determine its value are whatever "apps" people develop to make it do stuff. I could see users preferring to bring their iPad places where a MacBook might be more than necessary (coffee shop, a night on the town,Thanksgiving weekend at Grandma's, etc). There are many situations where it might be the perfect "in-between" machine for many different types of users. As i mentioned a few pages back: new venues as yet unexpected. It's small (but not too small), it's cheap (but not entirely unproductive).

Time will tell. [it's kind of tricky: Apple doesn't want to cannibalize either the MacBook or the iPhone entirely... but some users may eventually give up one of them. There are many ways this iPad thing can go, and Apple is smart by leaving it room to grow. If people demand video (and want to pay for it), i'm sure that's already part of the plan. Meanwhile, users who don't require that particular amenity are getting the first crack.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/10/10 07:24 PM. Reason: yack.yack. ;-)