> How many posters running any version of OS X have you noticed falling victim to the vulnerabilities patched by Security Updates they've failed to install?

(That sounds like you're supporting my position!)

I can't begin to answer that question; I've seen some, but not many, posts by individuals who've been victimized by something or other, but I have no idea whether those something or others could have been avoided by the posters' having installed one Security Update or another. (The older the OS, though, the more telling the lack of victims.)

> How would you know in advance to avoid, say, a "trustworthy" site which had been compromised?

I wouldn't, obviously, but my browsing habits leave me with a generally warm and fuzzy feeling and, thus, a willingness to gamble.

> Since anecdotal evidence suggests that the vast majority of Safari users are untroubled by the loss of SnapBack—if, indeed, they ever used it or even knew it existed—equating the ongoing evolution of the product with corporate arrogance because your preference is no longer being served seems a tad arrogant in its own right.

The fact that so few people seem to be aware of SnapBack suggests to me that I might be part of a crowd, rather than a lone voice, had Apple publicized it better.

(I wonder how many of the hundreds of new features in each new OS X release come and go without ever being noticed by anybody? Somebody recently posted that se tries out each new feature at least once [Wow! What an endeavor!]; I wonder how many others do the same?)

The thing that rankles me is that so many apps, Apple and 3rd party, add eye-candy bells and whistles, even as they discard functionality, with each new release, and I concede that my frustration with that approach to innovation has put me in the position of an extremist.

> I think Hal was simply attempting to return the thread to its original topic, on behalf of the nine other participants.

You're a Mod, I suspect that you've got sufficient influence to have any branch of any thread relocated to its own thread on behalf of all FTM members and visitors if you think it appropriate, and I suggest that this is one such branch; many FTM posters are running behind-the-times versions of OS X and may find this discussion interesting if not invaluable.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire