Originally Posted By: roger
well, I consider myself a bit more than an average mac-user, but I rarely use Applescript, and I would guess that most mac-users don't either.

having to know ahead of time that I might accidentally poof something from the Dock so I'd better run a backup script?

Finder - Edit - Undo Delete from Dock

That's not what this is about. I mean, i agree with you... it "should" be there. But it's not. So, some workaround is needed.

[the other thing is... this wasn't a general issue about one user and their Mac. It was originally about Virtual1, who works on a bunch of Macs every day, that don't belong to him.]

To summarize: we agree that a "Undo" should be there... and, i think we also agree that it's not there.

So, i guess the remaining question is: does a script solution interest anyone? grin

Originally Posted By: roger
every time I go to the Dock?

No... that would only be needed for V1, who works on a bunch of *different* Macs every day, that don't belong to him. [and even there, he would just backup once... as soon as he logged in.]

A more general solution [for users operating their own machines] would have the "backup" part automated (perhaps running every time the dock plist gets modified... or maybe just once an hour). In that scenario, all we would need is to run the script and choose 'Restore'.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/06/10 05:09 PM.