Originally Posted By: macnerd10
BTW, the model you are contemplating also has very solid reviews; it is just not that advanced as mine. But most folks agree that it does the job well. I would only recommend to buy a separate stand for it because what they provide is a sticker that may be visible and tell the thieves that car may have a GPS inside.

In the end I opted for the 265WT. I tossed the idea of combining GPS with another device as it changed the financial aspect significantly - the price from Staples was $100 below their regular price. It also meant I'd be tossing a perfectly good Motorola Razr which just seemed overly wasteful.

Ironically the Garmin's hands-free function (originally of interest) will be unused as my wife and I decided that if there's only one person in the car the phone will just be off. When it's both of us, which is the largest part of the time, the passenger will automatically be the DDP (Designated Device Person) and take/make any calls.

The DDP will also handle any GPS duties. That solves the stand problem you mentioned as the GPS will always be hand-held. The few times there is only one person in the car (around town) the GPS is not essential. Our town is only about 500K population so places are never more than fifteen minutes away and never hard to find. It'll be used a lot when we're on the road.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 02/03/10 10:15 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C