Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
....... it's also kind of instructive to revisit the initial responses to Apple's New Thing (iPod) ("All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!").

I think that, with the iPod, Apple was marketing. i.e. recognizing and filling a market need as opposed to developing a product and trying to "sell" it.

When the iPod came along music downloading was very popular but it was illegal and it was done on players that were a bit complicated to operate. Apple was smart in concluding: "The market wants to get music from the internet legally and they want to do it simply."

I'm unconvinced that's entirely the case with the iPad, particularly the part about reading books on it. I cannot imagine reading a novel or any other lengthy book on a screen.

However, I can see a person getting their morning paper on an iPad, as they travel to work on a commuter train, because they can link to related news on video et cetera.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 01/31/10 09:56 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C