Originally Posted By: macnerd10
I guess, it connects to the computer via USB (in the specs).

If you want to fiddle with wires (or don't have any routable Wi-Fi devices on your LAN), then yes... for an extra $30 an optional adapter/cable can be purchased to provide a USB connector. [at least that's what i've read elsewhere.] If that's true, probably someone like Belkin might come out with a dock that adds a USB connection (idunno). <-- EDIT: okay, that was wrong (and i blame the lame commenters at ars-technica for misleading me). Much like the iPhone and the iPod touch, the iPad comes with one of those thin little cables that connect to the bottom of the device (30-pin connector) and has a USB plug on the other end. I'm wondering now if it even provides the type of Wi-Fi file transfer ability i originally thought. Hmm, time will tell.

EDIT: Okay, according to MacRumors (who have studied the software developer kit):
Quote:
- File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.
So... it's not as if we can browse back and forth (like filesharing between 2 Macs), there's just a solitary shared folder for transfers. Period.

EDIT: no need for Belkin... looks like Apple's accessories have the dock/USB components (again, options at an extra cost):
Originally Posted By: Apple.com
iPad Keyboard Dock
The Keyboard Dock combines a dock for charging your iPad with a full-size keyboard. The dock has a rear 30-pin connector, which lets you connect to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the Camera Connection Kit. An audio jack lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers.

iPad Dock
The iPad Dock lets you dock and charge iPad. The rear 30-pin connector lets you connect the iPad Dock to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the Camera Connection Kit. An audio jack lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers.
Not sure what those two cost, but i'd guess around $100 and $50.

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
But the main point seems to be summarized in a 3rd comment:
“it has "classroom" written all over it.”

After a second read, the actual phrase was "it screams school (any level)."

Check this out: Inkling   (learn more).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/28/10 07:32 PM.