No, bemused is pretty accurate. It's something that wouldn't have occurred to me: to create a directory, myself, within /Library, on the theory that its presence is vital to the correct functioning of the system.

Just for grins, I created a new folder in /Library and named it bomd (boms having already been taken).

Here's the result of a Terminal comparison between the folder I created and the one that's already there (edit: this is in OS X 10.5.8):

delicata:~ dkmarsh$ ls -l /Library/Receipts | grep bom*
drwxr-xr-x 2 dkmarsh admin 68 Jan 24 08:37 bomd
drwxr-xr-x 64 _installer wheel 2176 Jan 22 08:30 boms

Notice that both the owner and the group of the folder I created are different from those of the existing boms folder. I can write to the folder I created, but not to the "legitimate" folder.

Now, I don't know how "incorrect" permissions on /Library/Receipts/boms might affect anything on a system version in which it's a vital folder (and I'm not going to experiment to find out), but the point is that the "create the folder if it's not already there" solution we sometimes see offered is generally confined to locations within the user's own home directory.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 01/24/10 02:14 PM. Reason: added system version info

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors