The experience of userS is very valuable. However, I've never before heard you mention "favorable comments about Hitachi drives in other forums;" that expansion of your very narrow experience to a more generalized anecdotal impression actually makes your perspective a lot more useful, in my opinion.

There aren't a lot of posts in which you criticize products you've used. DiskWarrior is "worth its weight in gold" (which, if you think about it, is actually a severe condemnation, since the weight of 5 MB of digital data is infinitesimal). Each new OS version, each piece of software performs "flawlessly" (in retrosepcct, anyhow). Longtime readers of MFIF/FTM likely understand that your frequent glowing recommendations of a small group of products and vendors you use is an expression of enthusiasm for things whose reliability you take pleasure in.

But I wonder if someone new to our troubleshooting community wouldn't be better served by recommendations which temper the extreme narrowness of individual experience with a little research into broader data—whether anecdotal or statistical?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors