Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Oh I thought that compress CMM was added by stuffit, and I didn't realize it would do folders too. Does the zip it makes have good backward and sideways compatibility, or will I have problems with someone trying to unzip it on say, windows xp?

I haven't run xp since maybe 2003, and i never did much with it (other than downloading service packs). The only "unusual" thing about OSX zip archives is that they *may* include resource fork and other Mac extended attributes, if the source files had any such content/metadata. But a plain text file (such as your surface_scan.command) should be cleanly extracted anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
But I'd say anyone that wants to know "how bad" the errors on the hard drive are, isn't too interested in the safety of their information wink

Oh, I totally understand where you're coming from. I definitely wouldn't want a single bad block on some hard drive in the next jet i fly on, for example.

But presumably our personal data is backed up... so measuring the degree of damage is just to satisfy our curiosity and desire for more complete knowledge about the extent of a problem. If Quantum disks average 13 bad blocks after 5 years of usage... and Western Digital drives average 47 bad blocks in the same time period... guess which one i'm gonna buy next time i need a new disk? (if all we ever measure is *one* error, then maybe we miss out on a useful part of the picture).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/19/10 05:26 PM.