Originally Posted By: artie505
I think that-all means that:
Code:
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=10240000
Password:
2610+1 records in
2610+1 records out
26730483712 bytes transferred in 481.737618 secs (55487640 bytes/sec)

does not necessarily mean that my partition has no bad blocks?

I don't see any error message, so that means dd did not encounter one. [then again, dd wasn't designed to be a "bad block detector" -- so i don't know what its threshold for defining an error is. maybe a disk could still be wonky and return good data very slowly or something. idunno.]

2. "dd's" padding of unreadable blocks with zeros will result in "records in" = "records out" even if it finds bad blocks?

Right. (AFAIK). <-- looks like we're both wrong there. See Virtual1's answer.

3. after "dd" finishes its run I have to go to Console to find out if it actually found any bad blocks? (If that's the case, then still none. smile )

Not right. Here again...
Originally Posted By: man dd
When an input error occurs, a diagnostic message followed by the current input and output block counts will be written to the standard error output in the same format as the standard completion message.

When running a command using a *terminal* device, the phrase "standard error output" means the same screen into which you typed the command. (Though redirection to other file descriptors is certainly possible, standard error is always echoed to the screen [when there is one]).

What's really needed here is someone with a known bad disk to do a few runs and then *show* us the results.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/19/10 05:23 PM. Reason: strikeout answer #2