> Although it surely heated up your CPU, the hard drive probably didn't notice a thing.

My HD temp was the highest I've ever seen it, i.e. 105F on a machine that generally runs in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

I was wondering whether 29 hours at that temp would be harmful?

> You should also note that you were not scanning the entire drive. "s2" refers to a partition on the drive. (though probably your main HFS partition, so MOST of the drive for sure, but can miss BAD things like IO errors in the partition map or boot block)

My post stated that "I threw three different surface scans at a 25Gb partition" (which is my OS X partition, although it's only 25Gb of 250); I used the smaller partition because I was just experimenting.

> You NEED to remove the "conv=noerr", otherwise dd will not stop on io error.

I don't mind its not stopping when it finds an error...morbid curiosity, but have I misunderstood the command?

Will it report an I/O error and keep going, or will it keep going without reporting what it finds?

> Latest version of my surface scanner is here if you want to check it out.

Thanks; I can't promise when, but I'll check it out and let you know how I make out.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire