Originally Posted By: tacit
It seems unlikely that your friend would be sending any emails to a honeypot address.

That's a correct conclusion. This is not a person who would have anything to do with hacking.

There are some more likely scenarios; your friend might be infected with a virus, or might be using an IP address that had virus-infected computer on it at some point in the past.....

This is an interesting point. The computer sending the 'tagged' emails is a Mac using Parallels for Windows XP. I assume that the Windows part of the machine could be susceptible to viruses.

I have subsequently received a couple of emails from the same address, but sent from a Blackberry, and they were not 'tagged'.

I do have a couple of questions:

- What is your friend's IP address?
- When you get a spam-tagged email, and you look at the full headers, are there any headers that show anti-spam information? Some spam filters will embed information in the email headers that you can use to determine why the spam software believes the message is spam.

I'm not comfortable with posting the IP address here - only because I don't understand the implications. That is, I've always thought IP addresses were something to be protected.

The second part - examining the content of the long header to look for clues - is well beyond my capabilities. I know how to open the long header but I couldn't interpret the information.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C