I've turned grelber's animated cat avatar into a sort of screensaver by embedding it in a TextEdit doc and accessing it with QuickLook>Full Screen. (It's quite surreal when the cat is moving and the controls have disappeared.)

I've run into two issues with my "screensaver," though, at least one of which may be a bug in OS X (10.5.7):

1. The cat ceases to be animated after an inconsistent period of time ranging between 10 and 20 minutes. (Edit: A few seconds short of 18 min seems to be the norm.)

2. When I invoke the cat with QuickLook OS X functions as expected, but when I switch to QuickLook>Full Screen my screensaver (5 min) and display (15 min) and computer (30 min) sleep settings go by the boards, and OS X functions as if there are no such settings.

A small test suggests that QuickLook>Full Screen invoked for any item defeats screensaver and sleep prefs and seems to confirm that the animation is not a contributing factor.

Issue 2. seems like a security flaw; I've no idea about issue 1.

Anybody?

Thanks,

Last edited by artie505; 01/03/10 10:20 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire