Thanks for your reply again Joe. Wrong quote back to me though!

I really think I deserve a medal here. It's been a long journey with some moments of acute stress.

Now, we finally have four Macs all running OSX, all communicating with each other. We've now got two iMacs (intel) and two G4s (powerPC). The vital software finally arrived from California, and (one heart-stopping moment after another) I found an upgrade to OSX cd for our vital charts/graphics application in the desk drawer.

I've got email working on the two new Macs, software updated fine, all output to the printer, I just hope our Printer (the firm who print our publication, not the hardware device) can read OSX-generated PDF files: if he can't I'll have to urgently source an Acrobat license too. Oh and I need (replacement) Euro fonts too.......

There are a few weirdos hanging around but I'm going to ignore them ftm. The most important thing now is to learn how to work as usual on DTP and do the financial side without the macros I've been used to for years.

Thanks for reading.
ps. the battery issue is not an issue now that the other Mac has been installed.