Thanks Joe.......
Quote:
The "trick" is each of the computers has been logged onto an account on each of the other machines using the userid and password of an account on the target computer.
that worked perfectly. Just as it should.

Today I had worse problems. I'm only writing them here because I feel so lonely sometimes. My boss has completely BLIND FAITH in me which is why he stays cheerful. He reckons there ain't been a technical problem which I have not solved yet, so therefore why worry?

I tell you, being indispensable SUCKS. Sometimes I really hate this job. I am now losing sleep over all the responsibility and envy those in larger companies with techie colleagues. Sure, they have less freedom, but they have mutual support, just like I used to in my previous job.

Yesterday I finally disconnected a PowerPC OS9 G4 and replaced it with an iMac PowerPC G4 OSX. Today I went for the other PowerPC OS9 G4. (The boss's one). Today's mission was to get all the data off it, using memory sticks because the CD drive/burner does not work, before installing a new PowerPC G4 currently running OSX which has never been used other than to make sure it works...

The boss's old PowerPC G4 would not start. A brief flicker of light on the power button then nothing. Using this Mac I researched this phenomenon on the net, and using instructions from various Apple sites, opened it up, FINALLY (sigh) located the PMU reset button (which is not where it says on the motherboard on the Apple site) and tried that. No result. While the G4's guts were open upon my boss's desk he strolled in to use the office phones over "Christmas".

Oh how impressive! he said.
I could do with some help around here, I replied.

He got the battery out. Leaving it out or putting it back in, the results were the same, no power-up.

We got the other old G4 and immensely heavy CRT screen off the floor and plugged it in somewhere else. It was our only hope to get his data back, since I'd backed it up to there. That one finally booted up after we'd gotten some tiny screwdrivers out to make sure the heavy CRT monitor's heavy adaptors were back home in their tiny slot....and then we started to use data sticks to transfer his vital data....and during all that he started to use the office phones to make Christmas calls as he'd planned.

At 7pm he airily told me to leave it for the day.

Tomorrow I get the "new" Mac out of the box and start loading software and data. Also making sure it can see the other Macs in the office and that it works with the very old Studio flatscreen and keyboard from the previous (now dead) one. Not in that order. crazy

Thanks for reading.