Originally Posted By: Bensheim
PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IT'S A POWERPC v. INTEL ISSUE!
Okay, it is not a PPC v Intel issue nor is it an OS issue. grin

No offense intended, but I suspect it is a memory issue, your memory not computer memory. I suspect you have forgotten how you got everything setup in the first place. Either that or I am missing something in your explanation. If I am missing something please elucidate.

We have several computers around here and we can freely connect and share data among all of them even though we do NOT have the same account or password on each of the machines. The "trick" is each of the computers has been logged onto an account on each of the other machines using the userid and password of an account on the target computer. The first time computer A logs onto computer B there is a prompt asking if you want to save the password. A positive response to this stores the name, userid, and password of computer B in computer A's keychain. Subsequent logons to compute B from computer A are automatic because the logon information is stored in Computer A's keychain. Click on it and you are in. The process is the same even if you are logging onto an account on the other computer that has the same userid and password.

You can logon to another computer as a Guest and no userid, or password is required but that provides access only to the /Users/Shared, Users/AccountID/Public, and Users/AccountID/Public/Drop Box folders. A third possibility running OS X 10.4 is you setup publicly accessible folders using SharePoints that could be accessed with a Guest account. If you used Sharepoints you would likely have the Sharepoints preference pane in System Preferences.

I am not a fan of Guest access of any type as they create a security vulnerability that could be exploited. If you were using Leopard or Snow Leopard you might have created Access Control Lists which have the potential for more access control and as a result greater security.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein