Yes, Hal, I understand your position. But my requirements are quite simple, and what I've got and use suits my requirements just right. I always operate on the principle that if it ain't broke, don't fix it — or, in this case, if there's no essential need, don't upgrade.
Thus, for example, I never use text editors per se, because I don't need to. Everything I process I can do with cut and paste, such as converting a newspaper article to an RTF document for saving. That works just fine for me.
I don't spend any time at all on YouTube and similar sites, process digital images or videos, create massive PowerPoint presentations, etc — that's why after 10 years I'm still only using 3 GB of my 14GB hard drive (with 1 GB of MP3 music) — so I have no need for speed (ie, broadband). The few times I might want to be entertained by such things, I have access to more updated Macs. That's how I know I don't like the latest incarnation of Word or most of OS X. Even if I were impressed with the latter, I'm satisfied with what I've got; I prefer putting my time to better use than trying to futz around with things I can't manipulate to my advantage in straightforward fashion, ie without significant and time-consuming and mind-numbing frustration.
But enough of my mini-rant. On with the show ...

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière