Originally Posted By: grelber
Ah so ... If I cut and paste into a SimpleText page, I'd have to do a lot more editing qua deletion to achieve the result that I get a lot quicker by inserting it into a Word page. But otherwise it's pretty straightforward (read: manifestly clear). Once again, kudos to OS 9.

I must point out that Word (and/or Office 98) is not "OS 9". Perhaps if you had said AppleWorks (or ClarisWorks), then there might be some "OS 9" kudos to crow about.

If you have ever used Apple's 'WorldText' (the second upgrade in the TeachText --> SimpleText series), then you might have some vague idea of what TextEdit in OSX is like. TextEdit is actually a really (really!) decent default 'vanilla' text editor. It is light years beyond SimpleText. It can open and save html, rtf, rtfd (rtf with images), odt, doc, docx, and xml... not to mention txt and Safari's own "webarchive" format (which admittedly is not quite as reliable as Microsoft's ancient waf).

I realize you need to continually rationalize your choice to stick with OS9, but it flies in the face of reality (Text Services, Quartz, and a zillion other OSX technologies) to even think that OS9 is something worth comparing to OSX. There is no "there" there.

And as far as word processors not included in the OS goes, i'll take Pages over Word any day.

--

As to the original topic (re: saving web pages into a document that we can edit):

Yes, i use TextEdit and save either as rtf or rtfd (when the page has images i want to keep). It works beautifully for me. The only "challenge" there is: how much *junk* from the web page do we want to save. Some are loaded with silly 1-pixel invisible gifs (usually named blank.gif, clear.gif, pixel.gif, spacer.gif, or speck.gif) which -- despite being so small as to be invisible -- will still consume a 4K swath of disk space each. So, just pop open the rtfd package in Finder and direct those useless items to the trash.

If anyone is curious how many of those useless gifs they have in their home, this command will list them:

find -xE ~ -iregex '.*\.rtfd/.*(blank|clear|pixel|s(pacer|peck))\.gif'

[just try that in OS9.] Naturally, that command could be tweaked to erase those files as well.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/17/09 06:29 AM. Reason: replaced (embarrassingly) complicated bracket expressions with -iregex for case-insensitive search