My hard drive seems to be filling up too fast. I have looked at MMT3's excellent post, Where Did My Disk Space Go, and have followed most of the steps. I want to see .Trashes. As instructed, I entered cd /.Trashes but the command that MMT3 wrote, namely sudo ls-lias, doesn't work in Snow Leopard. What is the correct command for SL?

My troubleshooting is preliminary at this point but I had been aware of a lot of hard drive activity, due to sounds of the drive working, but relegated that to a peculiarity of SL. While those sounds were occurring, I went to the TechTool Protection preference pane and saw that the Directory Backup was in progress. Coincidentally, I saw that the hard drive's occupied space increased when I did a Get Info on the drive. I turned off Directory Backup to see what would happen. It is premature to say anything (and, so far, the extra drive activity seems to have ceased) but I wonder if this is causing the issue. I am using the latest version of TTP.

EDIT: I have not yet tried WhatSize because there may be a way to avoid buying a license. Yes, I'm cheap, but perhaps I can save something this way. The only automated backup running is Time Machine. I back up with SuperDuper manually.

Edited by jchuzi (12/13/09 05:21 PM ET)
Edit Reason: changed title so that MMT3 will be aware of it

Edited by joemikeb (12/14/09 10:09 AM
ET)
Edit Reason: This topic evolved from an apparent system issue to an applications issue and was relocated from Mac OS X 10.6.x to Mac OS X Applications

Last edited by cyn; 12/14/09 07:04 PM. Reason: Changed subject line again in the interest of accuracy (was originally "Correct command to view .Trashes" and then "Techtool Protection eats up>half hard drive data"), this time on both topic post and replies.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365