Garbage Woman,

Here you go. PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) -- processor speed 550 MHz -- also called Onyx.

Even though the .pdf is titled Memory Replacement Instructions, it will help you check if the RAM is firmly seated. The illustrations / figures are at the end of the file.

In addition, I have found this site, iFixit, a good resource.

You will find a link to the PowerBook G4 Titanium Onyx troubleshooting guide and more here: PowerBook G4 Titanium Onyx Repair.

I encourage you to read the information in the links and look at the pictures even if you do not want to undertake hardware troubleshooting at this time.

As far as I can tell, you only have two options if you want to use a Macintosh computer:
  1. take the PowerBook G4 to an AASP for hardware and software diagnosis and possible repair. See: How to find your nearest Apple Authorised Service Provider.
    or
  2. purchase a new or refurbished Macintosh. See the Special Deals section at the bottom left of this page: The Apple Store (U.S.). You might also check to see if you qualify for a discount at the Education Store.
I understand you do not want to / cannot spend any money. The hard thing is that you are going to have to. It is just a matter of picking where you are going to put the dollars.

I wish I could be of more help, but without any discs you do not have any tools to use which might help us be of help to your Macintosh.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.