Originally Posted By: jchuzi
...If you drink commercial stuff (Maxwell House, Yuban, etc.), you'll get coffee that is mostly Coffea robusta. Robusta is high in caffeine but low in taste. The best coffee is Coffea arabica...

Didn't I see a show about coffee on the History Channel where they talked about the Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville becoming famous for their coffee because they were one of the first to zero in on the use of c. arabica as being the better tasting species?

Whether I remember that correctly or not, I do know that the Maxwell House coffee I buy for every day consumption states right on the label that it's 100% Arabica.

I also remember seeing the results of a blind taste test conducted with a pretty large sampling of people who claimed to be good coffee hounds, and that many of them picked a fresh cuppa plain from McDonald's as being their favorite. The Dunkin Donuts blend my Dad used to brew up when they first started selling it used to be pretty good too. I haven't gotten any for a long time, and I just haven't had occasion to go into one of their stores in years.

We write what we are.