Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Like Jon, we use a defunct 4-cup drip coffeemaker, in our case, a Gevalia promotion made by Melitta. Rather than a Mr. Coffee-style basket filter, it employs a Melitta cone filter (unbleached no. 2). It's still going strong about a decade into its lifespan.
We used one of those Gevalia promotions for many years and I was happy with it but noticed a HUGE difference after switching to the KitchenAid. It probably involves brewing at closer to the ideal temperature (195-203 F.). My wife wasn't satisfied, however, because she always claimed that buying a cup at Oren's tasted better than anything we made at home. She changed her mind after we got the KitchenAid. I think that the Melitta (from Gevalia) brews at a lower temperature because I seem to notice that it's cooler when I take the first sip. The Technivorm's claim to fame is that it brews at the ideal temperature. In addition, its heating element surrounds the reservoir but never comes in contact with water. To my taste, Gevalia coffee is unsatisfying.

Our tap water tastes good but is very corrosive. We use Poland Spring water for making coffee for that reason, and also because we don't have to de-scale the maker as often. Here's another tip: De-scale the maker occasionally. I do it by making a full pot consisting of 1/4 vinegar and the rest water. I run the maker through a cycle and then repeat with plain water 4 times to flush out all the vinegar. I do this whenever the taste of coffee noticeably deteriorates (roughly once a month). I clean the grinder at the same time and the Maestro Plus is very easy to clean.

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
None of you guys mentioned how you take your coffee. Black is the only way to drink it, as far as I'm concerned.
I totally agree. Both my wife and I take it black.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365