Quote:

It's difficult to convey a completely new concept to people, and practically impossible to do it in a short burst. Haggling about the language being used to discuss it is merely the first thing that needs to be agreed upon and gotten out of the way.

It's not "merely" anything; it's what's going to make or break your product. If your audience isn't hooked on the concept, they're certainly not going to stick around for the demo.

I edit for a living. I edit books and articles for academics who (a) think complex issues require complex language, (b) assume the reader will know exactly what they mean without having to specify what they mean, (c) believe that simple, declarative sentences are the mark of a simpleton, and most importantly (d) believe the reader will stick with them for however long it takes them to explain their ideas. I've found over the years that these kind of misassumptions are held by writers at all levels and apply to just about every subject.

You start off by saying that your post isn't a sales pitch, and then you launch into what is definitely a sales pitch ("You say you're not a power user"). I know a sales pitch when I see one. Back when I was in publishing sales, I gave any number of them. I knew the buyer heard about close to a hundred new books every day and was probably to the point where the rep's presentations were nothing more than a droning white noise. If I didn't get their interest piqued from the very beginning, I'd certainly never get them to be enthusiastic about what I was selling.

If I were editing your post, I'd have suggested you start off with a short sentence or two about what the product was and then made your pitch. You don't say until the 10th paragraph exactly what your product is and why the buyer should be interested in it. ("The AccessPad Pro®™ is a computer peripheral designed from the ground up to allow you—the kings and queens of all power users—to have access to a virtually unlimited number of shortcuts.")

In pitch meetings, whether it's for screenplays or for advertising campaigns, you have to come up with a one-sentence hook that intrigues the listener. If that sentence is good enough, you've got their attention, and you can then take your time in elaborating. Especially with shortened attention spans, you've got to grab them from the very beginning.