> Artie, re: Did you check /Apps/SysPrefs>Startup Disk?

Uh? Wrong thread?

I posed that question in post #6304, the second response to your original post in this thread.

"My trusty old G4 when switched on, displayed the Question Mark instead of booting up. Couldn't find a bootable disk" is a classic description of what happens when you start up a Mac that does not have a disk selected in /Apps/SysPrefs>Startup Disk and is not at all necessarily indicative of your Mac being dead, terminal, or even ill.

> Joe, in 15 years in this job on many different Macs, I have never once had to do a Hardware Test Suite test. I have also never once had to reinstal an operating system. Not once. With all due respect, which is considerable, I can't help wondering if some people are too afraid/doomy/negative about what might possibly happen?

Interesting point of view considering your opinion of insurance as expressed in "Financial surveys: a rant," i.e. "Regarding 'something you did not anticipate reaching out to bite you when you least expect it and probably when you can least afford it' that's precisely what Insurance is for, isn't it? We've got insurance policies for everything [....]" (And "The entire insurance industry is predicated on fear. They make people afraid of what-ifs.")

I, too, hate insurance and the fact that so much of our world is based on "What ifs," but you're disdaining free insurance, i.e. the discs joemike mentioned, because you've never needed it in the past, and that strikes me as foolhardy.

Last edited by artie505; 12/04/09 10:37 PM. Reason: Link & quotes

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire