Thank you for the explanation.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Something to think about. Is it easy for a "beginner" to understand? I feel like a beginner because I just don't understand what's being said in these apps. It's like I'm behind with knowledge when it comes to trying to figure some things out. Real techy people just don't seem to know how to talk to the average nontechnical person.

Rita, you have touched on a major issue in software development and support. It is a matter of vocabulary and context. Take for example: I am typing this in a Safari Technology Preview window on the desktop displayed on the monitor sitting on my desktop near the window that looks out on the driveway. This is the result of the penchant in the English language for re-using names to describe different and often only vaguely related things. In the "techie" world, this is further aggravated by the use of a common name in different disciplines to mean extremely diverse things and the fact we are not disciplined to be more specific by using phrases instead of names such as "monitor-screen-desktop" or Safari-application window. I know that I would not use an app with menu options that ran into paragraphs to describe.

Regarding the two apps that have been discussed Tinkertool System and MacPilot (I can't speak for MacPilot (Lite) as I have never used it). Tinkertool System was written as an adjunct to Marcel Bresink's very popular freeware Tinkertool to provide GUI (Graphical User Interface) access to some semi-pro command line functions. MacPilot is a newer product that apparently started with the premise there are actually hundreds of hidden, even non-published, macOS and macOS application configuration options. I have used both since they began and while Tinkertool and Tinkertool System have evolved to meet changes in macOS, but they are eessentially the same product they have always been and targeting the same user group. MacPilot started with the idea of finding all of the [i]hidden[/], configuration items that were not available in the GUI and over the years as evolved to the point they now have not only the basic configuration options but also the advanced complete with expanded descriptions as well as the actual terminal commands and a rich set of tools.

NOTE: AS WITH ANY APP THAT USES COMMAND LINE TOOLS IT IS ESSENTIAL YOU USE A VERSION THAT IS SPECIFIC TO THE MACOS VERSION YOU ARE RUNNING IT ON. THE WRONG VERSION COULD CAUSE DAMAGE.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Koingo Software, the publisher of macPilot, or Marcel Bresink, the developer of Tinkertool System other than that of a satisfied customer of both.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8