Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Why are the original instal disks so vital? Are you saying that it will only re-instal from them and no other System Restore disks? If that's the case why are OS Systems downloadable from Apple?
The original install discs are important in the even you ever need to do any serious troubleshooting. They, and only they, will have the Apple Hardware Test suite that is appropriate for the computer you are buying. Even more pertinent in your case virtually all G4s that will run OS 9 will only install and run the specific OS 9 that came on the original install discs that were shipped with the G4 from the factory. So if you ever have to reinstall OS 9 and do not have the original install discs — you are toast. crazy

Sadly it has all too often been the case on machines purchased on eBay that any discs provided are not compatible with the machine they are bundled with to the chagrin and often deep regret of the purchaser. There were any number of such cases reported on MFIF and as I recall there have been a few reported on FTM as well.

FYI, there are no legal copies of any Apple OS available for download on the internet and never have been. The only legal OS downloads are upDATEs that require the original version or a previous update to already be installed. In other words if you have installed OS X 10.4 from a CD you can download and install OS X 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3, etc. but you cannot download and install an OS X 10.5 upGRADE. For that you need to purchase a retail copy of OS X 10.5.
Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Yes I've got a family pack but even if I didn't what are they going to do? Come round here and rip it out?
So far Apple has always relied on the honesty and integrity of their users to enforce their licensing agreements. However, I am quite confident that if enough people choose to steal Apple software they will resort to more draconian measures which will inevitably make life more difficult for every Mac user. Just so you know, discussion and/or requests for help where pirated or illegal software is involved can result in the thread being removed from Fine Tuned Mac and in extreme cases the suspension or even banning of the member.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein