Here's an updated rewrite of my previous post...

Originally Posted by ryck
I would like to move the Data folder onto the HD so that it shows five folders, the way it was on the old iMac.

Applications
Library
System
Users
Data
OK, that's precisely what I thought we were after.

As far as I can tell, that's no longer possible in my Ventura, and, apparently, whichever earlier version of macOS you're running, but I've got no idea in which version of the OS the capability was lost.

Unless there's some arcane method to move your folder to the top level of your iMac using Terminal, you appear to be stuck with either leaving it on your desktop or moving it to some other location such as /Users, with a symbolic link for easy access on your desktop.

Hmmm... I didn't pay close attention to what joemike had you do, so this may be a dead issue already: There's an outside possibility that an upgrade of your original installation will perpetuate "Data's" original location. I'm basing my guess on the fact that I've got one kext still running that has been perpetuated only via upgrades. Migration Assistant is unable to do the job with a new installation.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire