Originally Posted by ryck
I am currently going through my present 27" iMac to remove digital detritus, et cetera, after which I'll update the OS (Probably Ventura). Then I'll open my newer 27" (2020) and begin transferring data. I have found a method which sounds too easy to be true.

Simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated.

It's from an Apple Support Community

Thoughts?

1. Boot your new computer into the Recovery Drive and update the OS to the most current version, that will morph into the setup process.
  2. Very early during the setup process, before you create a new account, you will be asked if you want to Migrate from another computer or Time Machine backup
  3. Answer in the affirmative and Migration Assistant will immediately take over
  4. When Migration Assistant completes, you will have your old account up and running on the new Mac. IT IS THAT EASY.
  5. Once that is complete you can manually launch Migration Assistant and migrate your wife's account.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein