Wow, TMI! Let's just hope my cables work with my chargers.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
If the USB protocol (ie. USB 3.1 gen 2) is not specified it is safe to assume they are USB 3.0 and As far as I know Lightning connectors are USB 3.0.

According to the seller on eBay, the lightning cables he is selling had to use USB-C ports. That's why I didn't buy from him.

You, and apparently the seller on eBay, are conflating USB port type and the USB standard. The USB standard (3.0, 3.1, 3.1 GEN 2, 3.2, 4.0) is a function of the number of wires in the and shielding in the cable and port. The USB port type (A, A 2.0, A SuperSpeed, B, B SuperSpeed, C, Mini A¹, Mini B, Mini AB, Micro-A¹, Micro-A super SuperSpeed, Micro-B, Micro-B A SuperSpeed, Micro-AB, Micro-AB SuperSpeed) describes the physical shape of the connector and all of those can be used with more than one protocol and connector type C can be used with every protocol from 2.0 to 4.0 plus Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4. The Lightning connector is an Apple proprietary connector for USB 3.0 standard devices.

That is a lot of information to digest and on the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words this Wikipedia article has an excellent chart of the "Available connectors by USB standard" showing the relationship between connector and standards. Every USB standard is [b]backward compatible with all of the previous standards[/b], but the device in the loop with the lowest USB standard sets the maximum data transfer rate.
My reason for emphasizing getting USB 3.1 gen 2 rated adaptors is because that gives you at least the potential for a 10 Gbps cable setup.

1. Connector types in red are the port types you are most likely to encounter.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8