Originally Posted by artie505
I'm not ready to upgrade to Ventura yet, but I decided to install it on my external SSD to take a look...in particular, to see if my printer will still work (Canon has since released a Ventura compatible driver! smile ) and which, if any, apps I'll lose.

I use Canon printers, but all of my Canon printers support Apple Air Print, so no Canon-specific driver is required.

Originally Posted by artie505
Is there a key fact that I overlooked? (It seems to me that I've read that Ventura can't be booted from an external drive unless it also exists on the internal drive.)

There is no requirement to have a full Ventura installation on the internal boot drive but, there is a hidden partition, iSCPreboot, that must be present on macs with Apple Silicon. It takes the place of the boot firmware on Intel Macs. Is it possible that it is also required on Intel Macs in Ventura? I no longer have an Intel Mac to experiment on.

Originally Posted by artie 505
Aside: After the kernel panics, I was unable to escape from the installer, even after powering down and trying an option boot. I was able to escape only after pulling the plug on my external.

Wow! I have never encountered anything resembling that, and I have both cloned and installed Ventura on an external volume, but then I have always started with a freshly erased target drive. Where did you get the Ventura installer?

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney