I'm not ready to upgrade to Ventura yet, but I decided to install it on my external SSD to take a look...in particular, to see if my printer will still work (Canon has since released a Ventura compatible driver! smile ) and which, if any, apps I'll lose.

And since I was experimenting, I decided to go the whole route and see if installing Ventura would turn a theoretically bootable, but actually non-bootable, clone bootable.

So, to make a long story short, after a seemingly endless succession of black screens, Apple logo screens, and screens with progression bars without time indicators, my MBP appeared to be getting ready to boot...when it kernel panicked...and kernel panicked a second time after it auto-restarted, at which point I threw in the towel.

I've dealt with failed installations before, but this was the first time I've ever (or in MANY years, at least) run into kernel panics, and just to be certain, I checked when I booted back into Monterey and found that the Ventura volume did, indeed, appear in System Prefs > Startup Disk.

Is there a key fact that I overlooked? (It seems to me that I've read that Ventura can't be booted from an external drive unless it also exists on the internal drive.)

Aside: After the kernel panics, I was unable to escape from the installer, even after powering down and trying an option boot. I was able to escape only after pulling the plug on my external.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire