I will be starting a new thread about minimizing reliance on iCloud for storage as I find it’s more of a pain than it’s worth. But first I need some clarification, so, backing up a bit in the thread dialogue…..

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by ryck
[quote=joemikeb]Given the size of your photo Library, I strongly urge you to re-think your decision and pay for the extra iCloud capacity.
I've done that (50GB) but now have two new issues as I thought, given all that capacity, I should link my iPhone and my iPad to iCloud.

First the iPad. I tried to turn on iCloud Photo Library and got a dialogue box that cautions:

“Photos synced from iTunes will be removed. Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 203 photos will be removed.”
When it says: ”Photos synced from iTunes will be removed”, what exactly does it mean? Removed from where? Does it mean it will remove them from the iPad only, or does it mean they will also be removed from the main Photos library, which resides on my iMac? i.e. I won’t have them anywhere.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
As a "belt and suspenders" step, be sure and backup each of the devices once you have them all synchronized. FWIW I backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud almost every night.
I don’t store anything critical on either device so, if I lost everything on both of them it would not be the end of the world. However, the idea of backing up the iPhone pointed out an issue that I don’t like - getting into a cycle of always buying more space - the iPhone backup failed and I was asked to buy even more iCloud space.

And now, one of the few things I would use iCloud for, has failed. All of the mail that was on the iPhone is now gone.

Last edited by ryck; 09/03/22 08:28 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C