Originally Posted by artie505
But I was also referring to (if I understand you) some of your music not being stored in the cloud, but being linked to the iTunes Store instead, which is an impossibility in my case, because the hand-entered metadata is obviously lacking some sort of identifying info.

My Music Library is on my iCloud disk which is mirrored on my Mac, my iPhone, iPad, server, and two Apple TVs. The bulk of consists primarily of links to “tunes” that are physically stored in Apple's Music Library (and are not counted against my iCloud Drive space allocation) but there are tunes, mostly transcriptions of out of print Dave Brubeck's work, that are not found in Apple's Music Library which are stored as part of my Music Library on iCloud (and count against my iCloud Drive limit). I mostly stream the tunes from iCloud, but for various reasons I may download and store selected playlists, albums, tunes to one or more of my devices, so they can be played without an internet connection. EXCEPTION: any tune I play on my Apple Watch must be physically downloaded first to my iPhone and then copied to the Apple Watch for playing.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein