Originally Posted by plantsower
Yes, I guess it's probably the non-Apple texts that don't always get through, though mostly they do. Sometimes I can't even send a text to a non-Apple user. Same person I always text everyday. I don't get it. I end up emailing her. And sometimes it says it can't be sent via text, but it sends anyway and she tells me she got it even though I thought I had to email her. I don't get that either. Anyway, I don't have Ventura so it's a moot point. Thank you though, Joe.

Apple's Message (née. iMessage) has always been responsible for identifying if a text message addressees were iMessage capable or not and appropriately routing it either through Apple's own internet-based system or the relatively primitive SMS/MMS telephone networks. As a result, iMessages would report when messages were delivered and opened, and see to it messages were synchronized among all the devices on the same Apple ID. In MacOS 13 (Ventura), iOS 16, and iPadOS 16, in so far as the limitations of the SMS/MMS system permit, Apple is using their servers to handle SMS/MMS traffic instead of dismissing them to the telephone network, thereby providing Apple users essentially the same experience for both iMessage and SMS/MMS traffic. Moreover, Apple provides the ability to cancel or edit messages, within I believe it is ten seconds of the message being sent.

In case you wonder what benefit, Apple gets out of this? It helps sell more Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Watches.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein