I have had a definitive answer to this USB>Ethernet adaptor route I was pursuing, from another Mac forum. He said it won't work with printers, the printer simply won't know what to do with it. (That begs another question: what do people use these adaptors for, then?)

In view of the £200+ consumables in the stationery cupboard for the existing Brother printer, I have now sourced and bought another, identical one, from Amazon. Phew!

Good that there is so much free advice available on forums. Bad that Brother never replied to my email. It would have been a lot less effort and TIME (grrrrr) if they had done that. I especially do not understand their lack of response since I stated from the outset that (1) I am a customer and a fan of theirs, and (2) I asked them about buying another printer from them. So, they've lost a sale. Isn't that odd?

Thanks for your notes on different routers. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a broadband router/ethernet/USB hub all in one. That might come in handy one day, so thank you.